Meals on Wheels of Eastern Kansas serves seniors and homebound in Shawnee, Jefferson and Douglas counties.
Hot, nutritious meals delivered daily can assist people in:
- Remaining independent in their homes
- Avoiding hospitalizations
- Managing chronic health issues, including special diets necessary for diabetes, heart related, renal, and swallowing complications
- Ensuring their safety at the same time of meal delivery
Volunteers who deliver meals play a vital role by reporting to Meals on Wheels any health and environmental changes or crises they may have observed during their visits. This includes participants that did not answer their door and changes in behavior and/or surroundings. Reported and suspected issues will be immediately addressed by Meals on Wheels staff to carry-out next steps as previously outlined by participants or their caregivers. Meals on Wheels staff establish a baseline of function and environment at the initial home visit and annually thereafter.
- Person 60 years of age or older who is Homebound(difficulty leaving the home unassisted)
- Person 60 years of age or older who is Isolated
- Person 60 years of age or older who is a Caretaker, as long as it is in the participant’s best interest
- Spouse of an Eligible Participant as long as it is in the participant’s best interest
- Disabled or Dependent Individual who resides in a non-institutional setting with an eligible participant and it is in the participant’s best interest
- Registered congregate meal participant who needs a home-delivered meal(s) due to an illness or health condition
Volunteer your time as a Meal Delivery Driver that is needed Monday through Friday as an “on call substitute” or a “permanent route driver”. There are six (6) meal pick-up locations throughout Topeka and one (1) pick up site in Lawrence for the convenience of our clients and volunteers:
- Meals on Wheels – 2134 SW Westport Dr.
- Walmart Neighborhood Market – 335 SW MacVicar Ave-South parking lot
- Papan’s Landing Senior Center – 619 NW Paramore St.
- Lulac Senior Center – 1502 NE Seward Ave.
- Highland Park United Methodist Church – 2914 SE Michigan Ave.
- East Topeka Senior Center – 432 SE Norwood St.
- Midland Care – 319 Perry St. – Lawrence
Meal delivery bags are picked up between 10:45 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Routes take up to an hour to deliver to an average of 10-15 clients per route. Flexibility in scheduling is available to all volunteers to include: corporate volunteers, retired volunteers, families, students, etc..
Meals on Wheels is always in need of qualified volunteers who are willing to substitute for absent full-time volunteers. Substitutes can stipulate what days they are available to work as well as the areas of delivery that work best for them.