Meals on Wheels of Eastern Kansas serves seniors and homebound in Shawnee, Jefferson and Douglas counties.
Hot, nutritious meals delivered daily can assist people in:
- Remaining independent in their homes
- Avoiding hospitalizations
- Managing chronic health issues, including special diets necessary for diabetes, heart related, renal, and swallowing complications
- Ensuring their safety at the same time of meal delivery
Volunteers who deliver meals play a vital role by reporting any health and environmental changes or crises they may have observed during their visits. This includes participants that did not answer their door and changes in behavior and/or surroundings. Reported and suspected issues will be immediately addressed to carry-out next steps as previously outlined by participants or their caregivers. Meals on Wheels staff establish a baseline of function and environment at the initial home visit and annually thereafter.
- Person 60 years of age or older who is Homebound(difficulty leaving the home unassisted)
- Person 60 years of age or older who is Isolated
- Person 60 years of age or older who is a Caretaker, as long as it is in the participant’s best interest
- Spouse of an Eligible Participant as long as it is in the participant’s best interest
- Disabled or Dependent Individual who resides in a non-institutional setting with an eligible participant and it is in the participant’s best interest
- Registered congregate meal participant who needs a home-delivered meal(s) due to an illness or health condition
We would love to have a conversation with you about receiving meals, to see if you qualify please call 785-430-2186.